Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Do you know when the next Haley's Comet is?

If I were micro-blogging right now, I would say,

Watching the #Rangers by myself in my apartment alone...and they're struggling. (89 characters)

but I'm not micro-blogging on here, so disregard that last sentence.

The Hangover
I went to my friend's lake house this weekend on Lake Bridgeport, and it was once again a STRONG weekend. The first day, I pretty much did every trick possible on a wake board, except getting up on the wake board. Fortunately, the last day we were there I was able to stir up enough strength in my chicken legs to be able to rise up and shred some wake. The constant mocking I took from a Mr. Benjamin "I like girls named Lauren" Berryman and Blaine "Yeah, I'll bail out on a tube ride because my neck hurts" Martin wasn't even the worst part of the weekend for me. It was the fact that just about every single person visiting the lake was quoting the greatness, that is the film, The Hangover. I already knew I was one of the only 3 humans on the face of the earth that hadn't seen this miraculous, comedic piece of cinema, but their constant rattling off of seemingly humorous statements forced me to check it out for myself immediately upon my return to Salado/Austin.

And I was not disappointed in the least.

I checked it out with the other 2 humans who hadn't seen it yet, Grant and Shealynn Davis (I used her last name becasue she will run that household). We hit up the Alamo Draft House, and the experience couldn't have been better. The draft house serves dinner and drinks while you watch the movie, so needless to say, we were watching the movie the way it's supposed to be watched. The outrageously funny one liners will certainly live on to rival those of Wedding Crashers, Old School, and Dumb and Dumber.

Philstars9
This morning, as I arose from my much needed beauty sleep, I rolled over to my most beautiful...

iPhone (you were thinking something else weren't you). I had a text from my good friend Phillip Mistretta, who also used to be a big Mikey Modano fan, back in the day (hence the AIM screen name which entitles this paragraph). He is currently in Nashvegas, Tennessee, working with one of his many bands there. He asked if I would check out a new song they were covering, on which he plays sax, as well as produces. This band is known as Downtown Fever, they perform at large events such as weddings, formals, galas etc. He asked me to review their cover of Jay-Z's song "Show Me What You Got", from the Kingdom Come album, and I must say, it was sick. This band is similar to a band many of you DFWer's (or Glass Cactus goers) may know of as the Emerald City Band.

I loved that he asked me to critique his work because 1.) I love to listen to music and disect the odds and ends of it, and 2.) I felt like someone else had found me to be a credible soure for what good music sounds like. Many people pride themselves on what kind of music they listen to and how the music effects their lives, and I'm one of those people.

Music is something that allows you to express your emotions through what someone else is doing, much like sports. For example, when the Rangers, Mavs, or Cowboys put together a rather impressive or impprobbale victory, you are able to rejoice in the fact that your team "just did that". I can also feel that same amount of "glee" whenever I hear Brad Paisley, Widespread Panic, Dave Matthews, Stevie Ray Vaughn, or Jonathan Tyler destroy a guitar only the way they can. The hair on your arms begins to rise, chills are shot through your body, and your stomach is turning knots because you realize you're wittnessing greatness.

So many people tend to mock other's music because it is not their similar tastes, but I say, if Coheed and Cambria, or The Used is what knocks your socks off, then go out there and let it move you. To each their own.

As the great Bob Marley said, "One good thing about music. When it hits you, you feel no pain."

To recap:

Yay music!


One last note, if I were micro-blogging right now, I'd say,

Still watching the #Rangers by myself in my apartment alone...but they're not struggling anymore! (98 characters)

however, I'm still not going to micro-blog on here...

but the hairs on my arm are starting to rise.

1 comment:

  1. It is refreshing to get the opinion of someone who is a music appreciater and not a snobby musician. Nashville "musicians" (as good as they are) are beginning to leave a bad taste in my mouth with their one dimensional views of each others music. It has essentially become so competitive that we are all trying to out do each other with higher paying gigs and better quality recordings. Needless to say, I am looking forward to my Dallas move next week where I will be able to play music for people that enjoy it for what it is, such as yourself.

    -Sent from my PALM PRE

    ReplyDelete